lifehack – A tool or technique that makes some aspect of one’s life easier or more efficient.
Beedoo747’s Wii Strap lifehack
When I bought my new Panasonic Lumix and unpacked it, I found a camera wrist strap was included. I looked at it, and I thought..
..wouldn’t my Wii remote strap be a better wrist strap, especially for things like snorkelling, water photography, and for security purposes?
It has a lock on there which is designed to stop your Wii remote leaving your hand and crashing into your teevee as a surprise, which happened a lot with the first version Wii remotes that did not come with a lock.
Turns out the answer is yes, heck yes, absolutely yes, this was my best idea ever!
Top 5 reasons why this was awesome –
1. Stayed firmly on the wrist while snorkelling
2. Stayed firmly on the wrist while doing.. well.. absolutely everything
3. No digging in the handbag for the camera when a shot presented itself
4. Could let the camera hang safely from the wrist if you needed to use your hand(s) for shopping, eating, drinking, for various other purposes
5. Could easily hang the camera from the handbag hook on the back of the toilet door and lock it tightly in place if you were travelling light and not carrying a handbag – just make sure not to forget it!
Should Have Brought Extra
Bigaln2 was extremely jealous of my Wii Strap and we did look in many places for a Wii strap for him to use with his camera, unfortunately this is not as easy a task as it seems.
There was also an incident with Bigaln2’s iPhone and a waterproof carry case which we purchased – it ended up at the bottom of the Ilikai pool the first night we went swimming. This would not have happened with a Wii strap!
One Small Improvement
I would bring a second one if you are planning a lot of snorkelling and water activities, specifically for use in those situations. Sure, it does not take long for the strap to dry out in the warmth of Hawaii, but in case it gets wet and you want to switch it for a fresh one, this might be a good idea.
Who Thought Of It First?
Probably half way through the holiday I said to the other half, surely I cannot be the first person to have thought of this. Of course I am not – I cannot easily trace back to the person who had this idea first, but I am going to give the EPIC WIN title to this gentleman – Randy Lew who wrote back in 2011 about his amazing camera strap finding and included photos.
A closer view of the Wii Strap and my camera, sorry it is quite a long photo. 🙂